Re: autoconf help?

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Pierre Phaneuf wrote:

>Jan Ekholm wrote:

>> An if you compile an own project I suppose you don't do 'clean' rebuilds
>> all the time, only when some central API changes or something similar,
>> maybe once a day.
>
>Yes, *exactly*. Do this experiment:
>
> - Download the Mozilla sources
> - Compile them
> - Touch a .cpp file somewhere
> - Do a straight "time make"

Oh, so you mean all projects are the size of Mozilla? That comparison is a
little bit far out.

Of course it is very easy to create Makefile:s that always recompile
everything from scratch as soon as something is touched. That is called a
bad Makefile. It is also possible to create Makefiles that use
dependencies, i.e. they recompil only those files that depend on the
modified files. This is called a good Makefile.

Maybe you touched something that every other file depends on? Of course
all other files need to be recompiled to reflect the changed API or
whatever. Doing that will save you a few cores later on.

For me make has always been good enough. It works, it is flexible and *I*
can get it do what I want it to do.