Re: a book or tutorial

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Achilles wrote:

> Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:

> > BTW: I have the greatest respect for Mike Abrash's work. I just don't
> > think its worth investigating it today. Unless you have a special interest
> > in these kind of things. The time spent reading about optimizing a texture
> > mapper for a 386 is just better spent profiling your own code, and making
> > sure you understand and use your graphics library as optimal as possible.
>
> 	Well, IMHO, you don't have to know how do make your code superfast and
> optimized to just get the job done. But then ask yourself if you want
> the job done, or if you want it done *well* - that's were those
> specifics about CPUs, video hardware and other stuff come into practice.
> Thing is, don't worry about writing the fastest, most efficient code the
> first time, think about it when you really need to squeeze some extra
> cycles.

And when do you need to do that? Quake only uses assembler for software
rendering. Other then that, plain C.

I can't begin to imagine when I would want to use assembler. Maybe the
libs I use do it. But not me, no thanks.

With the new CPU's (from e.g. intel) unless you are among the best 10
assembler coders in the world, you want have a chance of writing assembler
half as good as your compiler anyway.

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg.                               madsdyd@challenge.dk
If you're a command-line user (that is, someone who knows how to read and