Re: SDL (was: Re: SVGALIB on Thinkpad)

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Steve Baker wrote:

>In surveys on several end-user gaming sites (such as HappyPenguin),
>the number one problem with gaming under Linux is the hassle
>of getting a program (and all it's dependent libraries) to install.
>Hence, the number one goal of games designers should be to make
>that entire process as simple as possible.  SDL comes *FAR* from
>that goal.

Sorry to be a dumb "me too" here, but I think this is an important issue.
I often end up not testing games just because all the dependencies are
hard to meet. In reality I usually give up on a game if I can't 'apt-get'
it easily, or at least get all it's dependencies as Debian packages.

SDL does have some work to do here.

--
   Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in
   your home.