Re: Interested in starting some basic development

Borko Jandras wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 13, 1998 at 07:08:43PM -0800, Joel Stanley wrote:
>
> > Where's a good place to start? I feel that if I start working with an
> > existing API, I won't really have a good understanding of what's happening
> > at the hardware level. Is this true? Should I try to avoid the existing
> > APIs such as OpenGL or GGI or whatever else there is out there and just do
> > some dinking around in assembly and perhaps use the SVGALib in C/C++?
>
> I would most definitely suggest OpenGL as graphics framework (Mesa on Linux).
> You really don't want to know what's going on at the hardware level. Think
> about portability.
>
> Speaking of portability, I'm still searching for decent portable sound API.
> Anyone using any?
>
> Oh yes, I almost forgot. As we all know OpenGL is windowing system independent,
> so you do your own windowing stuff, or use something like GLUT. Now, GLUT is
> not very well suited for games. Is there anything similar to GLUT but useful
> for games?
>
> --
> Borko Jandras   <bjandras@public.srce.hr>
I have also just started and was looking for a way to get my feet wet.
Is OpenGL good for "non-3d" graphics cards?  I want to create some
simple 3d views of starmaps and was wondering where to start myself.  I
saw a listing for a Crystal Space 3D. Is this what I am looking for?
Sorry for the newbie questions but graphic programming is all new to
me.  I do mostly business apps in Java with Swing, but I wanted to get
into something with more interest.

Thanks for any help ahead of time (in case I forget),

darelf@waverly.net
Darel Finkbeiner