Re: Interested in starting some basic development

On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 08:15:07AM -0500, Jeff Read wrote:
> Borko Jandras wrote:
>
> > Depends. If you would to use some C++ features, it would be impossible.
> > Anyway, if you write in C, you don't even have to make wrappers for C++ and
> > Objective-C.
>
> Exactly! Despite the "object-oriented mania" going on, a game is perhaps
> one of the applications best-suited to an object-oriented paradigm.
> Coding the damned thing in C wouldn't give me half the flexibility I
> want in twice the code.

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm doing my thing in a OO language. See, doing a
_game_ in C++ is ok, but doing a _library_ in anything other than plain C
is not.

> > Sure you would. You would just have to think differently. Think differently...
> > oh my! :)
>
> Puh-LEEZ. You sound like an Apple marketroid. :) (I despise that slogan
> and that entire campaign so it's nothing personal.)

What? You don't find their little iMac hunchback cute? :)

> Anyhoo, a library such as GAMES (and probably Crystal Space as well)
> depends on such things as inheritance, polymorphism, and RTTI.
> Implementing those things in C would be a lot more trouble than it's
> worth, and the resultant code would be real messy. You'd have to be a
> real wizard to do even basic stuff with the game library. I've seen them
> try to retrofit OO concepts onto straight C with things like COM. It's
> horrible. As bad as you may think C++ is, you can't say that you would
> prefer that mess over C++ and keep a straight face. If you can, then I
> don't think a refusal to scrap all my work and redo it in C for the
> convenience of folks like you would be ill-justified as you are truly
> small in number.

Trouble, trouble. The real trouble IMNSHO is that who ever wants to use GAMES
is stuck with C++. If GAMES was in C, you could still do the game using it in
C++, or any other language.

To bring a bit of KDE/GNOME war here (as if C++ vs the rest of the world is not
enough for me), that is exactly why I favor GNOME, and find the whole KDE stuff
repulsive. How the fsck can I do a KDE app if I don't want to program it in
C++. Uh.

Small in number? Where did I hear that before?

> FWIW, all the real low-level stuff in GAMES, blitters and so on, is or
> could be done using C.

Doesn't help me much, does it?

--
Borko Jandras	<bjandras@public.srce.hr>