Re: Interested in starting some basic development

Borko Jandras wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 10:13:00AM +0100, Jorrit Tyberghein wrote:
> > Borko Jandras wrote:
> > > C is suitable for anything, no matter how big it is. You just have to plan
> > > more.
> >
> > But I don't WANT to plan more. Why not use C++ where you don't need to
> > plan more? What exactly is so bad about C++ that you cannot use it for that?
>
> The issue is not that C++ is good or is not good for this and that.  The issue
> is that I cannot use an API written in C++ for my coding in C or Objective-C.

You can if you make wrappers.

The issue is that you should not be prevented from using another language than C
in a library just because of these interface issues.

If I rewrote Crystal Space in Objective-C you (and others) may be more happy
but then the people on the C++ side will start complaining that they can't easily
use Crystal Space in their projects. In addition people using C will also have difficulty
using the Objective C stuff (just as they have difficulty using the C++ stuff).

So you suggest that the only solution is that libraries should not use C++ (and neither
should they use Objective C if you follow the same reasoning). I find that simply not
acceptable. I do NOT want to be restricted in choice of programming language just
because of that.

> > Granted, C++ is not a real good language. It has a lot of features that are
> > over-complicated and badly designed because of the C heritage. However
> > you don't have to use all those features. Why not use C++ simply for it's
> > classes and inheritance? That would allow you to structure you code while not
> > having to live with all the rest. You don't HAVE to use:
> >     - operator overloading
> >     - RTTI
> >     - templates
> >     - virtual functions (although those are nice)
> >     - multiple inheritance
> >
> > But you can still use the rest of C++ to good advantage I think.
>
> What's left? Can't you do it in C? I know a good GUI toolkit for X that does
> it.

Classes and inheritance. It is only syntax sugar but it is enough.

Greetings,

Jorrit.Tyberghein@uz.kuleuven.ac.be, University Hospitals KU Leuven BELGIUM

Brother Preptil, the master of the music, had described Brutha's voice as
putting him in mind of a disappointed vulture arriving too late at the dead
donkey.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)