Re: Interested in starting some basic development

Magnus Norddahl wrote:

>> Well, it's more or less the future for Linux, right. Sooner or later kgicon
>> (from the GGI project) will be added to it, adding support for hardware
>> acceleration and some more nice features. And later quite surely both of
>> them will be replaced by kgi.

>I'm getting quite borred of hearing GGI people bla bla about their stupid
>project. Let's talk about what GGI can do TODAY. Nothing is the keyword.
>Give me direct access to the frame buffer? Great! This is also possible with
>svgalib, Xfree86 and /dev/fb.

Abstraction? Will your svgalib or fbcon program also run on X or aalib or
render to a file without change to the binary?

The point about GGI is that it consists about at least two major parts -
libggi (the basic abstraction library) and kgi (hardware drivers).

Kgi is still in its infancy, right. But libggi is almost completely usable.
And if you use libggi you *automatically* use all features (including
acceleration) of the underlying display mechanisms (X11, svgalib, fbcon,
aalib, ...). Why code for one display mechanism if you can code for all of
them without any additional effort?

>Just give me _one_ good reason to support GGI. They do not even have hw
>accelerated surfaces (atleast not last time I asked on their mailing list).

I don't know what you exactly mean with "accelerated surfaces", but if
*any* display mechanism on Linux supports tham, chances are very high that
you can use them with libggi, too.

>Both GGI and PenguinPlay suffer from having plenty of talkers, but only very
>few coders. I recall Alan Cox once wrote something about this on slashdot.
>(although I do not have any url).

Ouch, that was direct. Thanks for the reminder.

>(I'm just tired of Christian constantly mentioning a project that doesn't have
>any future, if they do not change course)

What course should they take? Their current course is to do things
properly. I think this is the best course.

Cu
	Christian
--

if (1==1.003) printf ("Pentium detected!\n");