Tux the Tutor; was: Re: Site update

Rob Kaper wrote:

>   I still had my idea of a Larry-alike adventure game featuring Tux.

That reminds me of an idea I had a few weeks ago. Now that we have this
nifty new technology at our disposal, what about some open source
educational software for kids? We have to start out those little tykes
right. This has been a thought running through my head. Something like
"Tux Teaches" or "Tux the Tutor" or something. Everyone's favorite
penguin would instruct youngsters about reading, math, spelling, etc.
This kind of thing is what made Apple computers so popular in the 80's.
And it's a compelling reason why, monopoly issues aside, many parents
now choose a Windows PC for their kids. We could get some educators on
board about this.

Along similar likes would be a kid's shell and a kid's desktop that
would make working under Linux fun and easy and quell the complaints
from Windows weenies about how "you can't expect little kids to learn
all those 'cryptic' Unix commands!" despite the fact that little fingers
would probably be more dextrous at entering simple commands of a few
letters than at dragging the infernal mouse around.

(And because Linux is the internet's operating system, we could also
have "Tux Teaches about the Internet", with special guest Mozilla, who's
way cuter than Barney! ^_^)
Jeff Read <bitwize@geocities.com>/ http://genpc.home.ml.org
Unix / Linux / Windows Hacker,  / Boycott Microsoft!
Anime & Sonic Fan,             / Use Linux/GNU!
All Around Nice Guy           / Let's keep the Net and the Land FREE!