Re: Texture mapping

Hi,

> What would be extremely useful is if someone who was skilled at opengl
> programming (particularly mouse interaction in ogl and texture handling) were
> to make a generic model/texture editor with an easy plugin for saving. For game
> programmers/artists this kind of tool would be perfect, instead of writing
> complex loaders for model formats that weren't designed for games :) Like an
> opengl plugin would save the model as a series of tris with normals, and the
> texture as rgba? Or have seperate model and texture plugins? Also I always
> thought it'd be neat to build a texture by 'painting' directly on a model, so
> there's no trying to guess at texture warping or if it'll match up :) If I had
> the talent, I'd gladly take a shot at it, but my opengl experience is extremely
> limited (every time I get started, real life interferes)... I would think the
> most difficult part would be handling user input, figuring out what "click
> here" means to 3d space and how to handle things like drags. The modeler with
> lightwave handled it by having 4 viewing panes, 3 were a cad like interface,
> the 4th was a 3d ogl viewing section that could be rotated, zoomed, and panned

I am trying to do something similar for a game editor/creator I am writing;
eventually it should edit some basic 3d models (I'm hoping to make animations
easier to draw for non-artists - like me) , It will use a graphical file format
editor which will allow you to draw the file format you wish to import/export to.
It will also allow some general compressions/decompressions on the parts of the
format you create.

... at least thats the plan.

Bye - Joel.