Re: Texture mapping

On 03-Nov-99 Steve Baker wrote:
> Erik wrote:
>
>> What would be extremely useful is if someone who was skilled at opengl
>> programming (particularly mouse interaction in ogl and texture handling)
>> were
>> to make a generic model/texture editor with an easy plugin for saving.
>
> Having a really good (yet 'conventional') 3D modeller package with truly
> open source is (IMHO) one of the last great hurdles to effective 3D games
> development under Linux.
>
> THere are LOTS of projects that start with this goal.  So far, I have yet
> to see one that has a chance of making it.
>
> Me3D seems to come closest...but progress seems painfully slow.
>
> I started working on one - but gave up when I realised that I
> was going to burn the best part of a year of my spare time on
> it.
>
> Building a 3D modeller that's actually any good is **HARD**.
>

> --
> Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
> sjbaker1@airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker
> sjbaker@hti.com      (work)

now that I think about ... (read as 'story change' :)

3d modellers are pretty complex peices of software, so of course it's tricky to
make a GOOD one. Possably a great hurdle in making on happen on linux is that
people really really heavy into modelling don't really program and vice versa
(I think). People really really heavy into modelling aren't heavily into linux
because the software isn't there, unfortunantly. I'd imagine a modeller package
on par with the current mainstream modellers (3dmax, lightwave, bryce2, et al)
would be virtually impossable for one lone spare time programmer.

The way I see it, a team would have to be assembled to approach such a problem.
Guru modeller veterans would be needed to comment on what's good, what's bad,
what's needed, and what's stupid, as well as heavy testing. Math savaats would
be needed to help provide formulas to punch in to make it accurate (most coders
in 3d have a strong math background, but it would still be handy to have a pure
math mind I'd think). A handful of coders with emphasis on 3d (opengl?) and
user interface (gtk+? xlib?) would be needed. And there'd need to be someone in
the middle with enough knowlege of each, enough charisma, and enough foresight
to effectively channel such a groups energy into a finished product.

Even with a talented enthusiastic group, it would take a considerable chunk of
time, the overhead of communication and job splitting and extra planning would
cut into development time... Plus since guru modellers are winiots, There would
need to be development of a winblows version concurrently...

My interpretation is that a to really make a good modeller, you'd need these
components. The existing projects seem to be 1 or 2 coders with some skill in
coding and some skill in modelling, but no exceptional talent in either, kind
of a jack of all trades.

Getting away without modeller gurus directly active in such a project MAY be
possable by having some modeller enthusiests, evaluating current mainstream
modellers, and interviewing the gurus of the feild, which may alleviate the
concurrent windows port... *shrug* but now I'm on wild speculation :)

isn't sgi porting some of their heavyweight apps to linux in hopes that linux's
3d capabilities will be improved by the community to support them?

        -Erik <br0ke@math.smsu.edu> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.