RE: 3D modellers [Was: Re: Texture mapping]

On 06-Nov-99 Steve Baker wrote:
> Erik wrote:
>
>> > AC3D really isn't all that good - but it would be a wonderful starting
>> > point for making something really good.  Unfortunately, it's author
>> > doesn't
>> > want to 'free' the sources because the gradual trickle of $40 cheques is
>> > actually earning him some serious amounts of money.
>
>> mmm, promoting substandard software? I can only think of two catagories
>> where
>> substandard software is tolerated on linux. 3d modellers and web browsers.
>> And
>> there's a lot of noise on the web browser issue (I'd say it's more critical.
>> Games&gfx are nice, but the web is a necessity.)
>
> Well, I think in both cases (3D modellers and Web browsers), it's a matter
> of either picking the best of a bad bunch or returning to Windoze.
>
> I *hate* the bugs in both Netscape and AC3D - but they are still the best
> of what's available...and I'd rather have a buggy AC3D than have to reboot
> into Windoze. (Aside from which I don't own a copy of windoze)

I wish I had the skill and time to tackle these areas. Accepting the best of
the bad still means you accept bad. I switched to linux a few years back cuz
for what I was doing, it was good, and windows was very bad. I'd rather work a
little more and have good than just accept bad :) That I typed that like that
is bad :)

>> > I'd certainly contribute to a project that had enough serious people on it
>> > to solve the problem for real.
>
>> the problem isn't a lack of skilled people willing to contribute, it's a
>> lack
>> of people qualified, capable, and eager to LEAD :)
>
> Well, if there were enough helpers, I'd be prepared to lead - but I'm not
> starting another one-man project (which Tux_AQFH is - and PLIB *nearly* is).

I would be interested in helping, but my skills are limited and my time even
more so. In mid december, I should have a lot more free time to donate to what
I feel are worthy endeavers. I may be mistaken, but I beleive large open
projects are usually comprised of a small group of core developers who are long
term, and a huge flux of one shot coders who do the bulk of the work, but are
with projects for very very short times. I was following xracer, only worked on
two issues, and only got one to the point of submitting a patch. While I was
following, several people came, several people went, there were only a couple
main voices. Rich did an aweful lot of work, but there were a lot of patches
flowing in... That's where the strength of open source comes in, lots and lots
of people contributing single small peices that come together to make a
superior whole... :) I suppose I should draw a conclusion from this rambling; I
think waiting until a largish developer base is built to even begin isn't going
to work. Group a small handful, plan out the framework, and open it up to
public abuse/evolution? I'd be happy to help when and where I can, but my
biggest success to date is basically a dressed up gtk+ telnet program for mud
games, I don't have the experience or background to contribute too much.

>> > Pretty Poly Editor was portable.  If you write it in OpenGL (what else
>> > would
>> > you use?!) and use some kind of portable GUI/widget library (like my PUI
>> > or
>> > GLUI or something) - then portability should be trivial to do.  Much
>> > easier
>> > than writing a portable game or something like that.
>> >

>> this would probably be an excellent application of plib
>
> Well, Pretty-Poly-Editor used some of the code that is now PLIB - but one
> of the reasons I stopped working on Pretty-Poly was the need for something
> like PLIB.  So I dropped PPE and worked on PLIB - then wrote Tux_AQFH
> (which started life as a test program for PLIB)...and never did get back
> to PPE.

:) life happens