RE: Strategy games (was something else and Texture mapping)

> Nice. Far too much emphasis is nowadays put on the sound &
> gfx of games,
> and making the really stupid. I think most strategygames are
> still today
> dumber than those on the old C64. CPU-power has increased
> thousandfold,
> but all it has gone to gfx, very little to the actual 'depth'
> of the game.

That's a bit of a generalisation really. There are some fine examples of the
genre, but in general your point does hold.

> <flamebait>
> I think the focus on gfx is a result of the average gamer
> becoming more
> stupid. It has to look nice, but it has to be really simple
> and not make
> the poor gamers confused. Manuals should never be needed. I
> remember the
> old Microprose games where the manual was thick and actually
> extremely fun
> to read on its own, like a war-novel (Gunship, Stealth Fighter,
> Pirates...). So flame me for this...
> </flamebait>

I thought this was a given?! Blame the console generation. Although saying
that I don't mind some jaw dropping GFX to stare at after the pub :)

> I don't really like RTS-games, I prefer turnbased, or maybe something
> where the action is realtime but the orders are given as
> turnbased. Anyone
> remeber Panzer Strike, Typhoon of Steel, Computer Ambush.

Panzer Strike was cool. Cimputer Ambush is a new one on me. What format was
that out on?

> For the latest (and greatest), yes. For the old ones, no. The
> first ones

I wouldn't mind having a play with the Amiga version (I still have a 500 &
1200 up and running @home)
any chance of getting hold of a copy?