Re: Strategy games (was something else and Texture mapping)

Erik <br0ke@math.smsu.edu> writes:

> Some of my favorite games were kicked out in the mid 80's for commadores and
> family by Sid Meyer (sp?), whom I think was one of the 20th century
> supergeniouses :) I was wondering what the run of the corrosponding copyrights
> are?

Copyrights AFAIK expire 75 years after the death of the author.

> 'Pirates!' is right up towards the top of my list, and seeing a linux
> version with "modern" graphics and sound, and a souped up simulation engine
> would really make my day. The technology in pirates was pretty simple (but
> quite elegant), and I wouldn't think that an exact clone would be too tricky
> (but I could be way off base).

If you think that would be worth a try, just do it :-)

I don't think that you would run into copyright problems, if you simply
make a game based on similar ideas like "Pirates!", gaining some
inspiration is legal. AFAIK you would just get throuble if you reuse
some of the acutal artworks from "Pirates!", but that would of course
always a bad idea since the gfx are quite a bit out of date today.

--
                                                 http://pingus.seul.org |
Ingo Ruhnke <grumbel@gmx.de>             http://home.pages.de/~grumbel/ |