Re: Direction of Linux games...

>> It's not hard to do timing code these days. I mean back in the ole 8bit days
>> wouldn't really have wanted to try, but these days machines can quite easily
>> handle the fp math to do proper physics modelling. It does make life a lot
>> easier being able to assign velocities to things as m/s and ignore the
>> framerate.
>
>I'd know all about variable frame rate coding.  It's easy to write
>a program that way.  It's not so easy to take a framerate dependent
>C++ program that someone else wrote and make it framerate independent.

Well no obviously. It has to be added at the start. In fact, I'd go so far as to
say "it IS the start". It wasn't the FIRST thing I did (That would have been
"vector"), but it dint 'alf come fast on the heels.

Surely fixed framerate stuff buggers up as soon as anyone changes monitor
refresh rate?

>> Why does everyone insist on trying to do framerate dependent stuff?
>> Am I mad? Am I the ONLY one that thinks this is SO 1980s?
>No their mad.  It IS very 1980s.

Good. That's something I'm not mad over then. Mind you, having looked at the
tons of source that I have recently, I do wonder what people are using C++ for
at all. Most people seem determined to write assembly, albeit with a string
class...

What about these corpses in the boot of my car? Is that normal as well?..