Re: Direction of Linux games...

>Since I got (justifiably) shot at for my 1980's fixed frame rate code,
>I should explain that as a professional flight simulator engineer, I'm
>*VERY* aware of the issues.

Fair nuf.

>Tux isnt' like that because it started life as a demo for PLIB, progressed
>to a simple hack for my kid to play with, and eventually grew into a
>full-blown game which deserved to be GPL'ed.  As several people have
>correctly explained, if you don't build that stuff in from square #1,
>it's nearly impossible to retro-fit it.
>
>I agree that this is a pretty lame excuse - but it bears
>consideration.

We'll forgive you, don't worry :-)

It's not that I was having a go at you per se, there's tons of games do that
sort of
thing. It usually turns up with questions about how to do self-modifying code
and how you stop other processes being switched in and other very 80's things
like that. My whole problem is that I think computer games should get dragged
kicking & screaming into the 90s before they end. Actually I think the entire
software industry should get dragged into the 90s. {I'm looking at a "serious"
project
containing a large number of million lines of c++ code, and a rough analysis of
the
source indicates ~1 in 4 lines contains an explicit cast. Mmmm.}

And when I've got a spare hour or two I'm gonna write some web documents about
it all. (It's about 10th on my list of things to get done. After two other
web-sites
and this feckin' game. 8-)

>So, you all get my grovelling apology - and I *promise*
>to do better next time.  I *still* got five stars on
>the Games tome though...technically that makes Tux as
>good as Quake - HA!

Bit of a saturation issue there really isn't there...