Re: problems with offtopics

> > > Why do you ask that here?
> >
> > That's very easy to explain. I don't want to subscribe any mailing lists
> > of this world because I want to know one thing about something.
> >
> > So I miss a maillinglist for all and anything.
>
> You mistake the needs of the questioner and the needs
> of the person answering those questions.
>
> It's rude. Don't do it - no matter how convenient it
> may seem to you.

Interesting how, in this modern-day Internet where mailing lists are
being deprecated by news over NNTP and where DejaNews let you search all
over Usenet. For example, I can find a related newsgroup on a non-Usenet
server like sunsite.auc.dk (on a web page or something), enter a
news://sunsite.auc.dk/ link in my browser and read the messages, search
them and so on.

Usually, when I need answer to questions that aren't on web site or such
other easily searchable places, I need to ask to *very* specific people.
When I had problems with XShm, I looked *everywhere* and found
documentation lacking in a few aspects. So I sent an e-mail to the best
XShm expert I know, Raster. And it was so to the point and so much of a
"very non-FAQ" question that I got an answer.

--
Pierre Phaneuf
http://ludusdesign.com/