Re: problems with offtopics

Chris Purnell wrote:

> > Interesting how, in this modern-day Internet where mailing lists are
> > being deprecated by news over NNTP ...
>
> You seem to be about five years out of date there.
> Net news have been dying a slow death under the weight
> of all the spam.  And isolated NNTP severs have not
> really caught on.

Yes, actually I do not directly use Usenet, only search it with
DejaNews, and while NNTP-only discussion group didn't catch on, many
mailing lists are gated to isolated NNTP servers (like this one, the
linux-kernel one, and plenty of other good ones).

Sometimes I'm forced to directly use a mailing list, but I prefer it a
lot when I can find an NNTP gateway, they are much more straightforward
(no need to set up filters to keep my inbox tidy, access to older
messages, threads works fine).

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/