RE: Implicit linking of local .so

On 30-Nov-1999 J. Perkins wrote:
> I've been trying to find an answer to this problem for quite a
> while, maybe (hopefully) someone here can help out.
>
> I have a shared library with a large number of entry points (it's
> a portable game development library, so it's kind of on-topic).
> This library is specific to my application, so I don't want to install
> it into a system path if at all possible. Ideally, I would like to
> leave it in my application directory, right next to the executables.
> But if I do that, the system linker can't find the library, and I'm
> stuck explicitly linking a large, still in flux, C++ API, PITA.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to tell the linker "hey, I want to
> put my library right here", where "here" is a path relative to
> the main executable, and which doesn't involve messing around
> with the system-wide settings?
>
> Any assistance wildly appreciated,
> Jason

you could append that path to your library path, so just one user gets a
modified path. Another way would be to make a small bash script which sets the
library path and then runs the program. I don't beleive it's possable for a
binary to say what path to look in.

        -Erik <br0ke@math.smsu.edu> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.