nVidia drivers performance issues

Hey all,

I develop a cross-platform engine for Linux and Windows, and here's something I've noticed since I got hold of my new GeForce 6800 GT: I'm noticing a huge performance difference between the two operating systems.

One game I helped develop using my engine currently runs at 18-20 FPS on Windows2000, using Cg shaders at low-level of detail. The same application runs at 70-80 FPS on Linux, also with the Cg backend, only I'm using high-level of detail shaders.

Other application (SomniumStudio's techdemo v1.5) currently runs at 50-60 FPS using the Cg backend and full detail shaders. I just worked on porting the Cg backend to use GLSL exclusively, and the techdemo runs at 200-300 FPS also in full detail, though I don't believe this huge difference happens because of the GLSL port exclusively.

I think it's great that the Linux drivers are "top-notch" as of now, and I expect the support to get even better. I mean, my working environment is Linux, I only make the Windows port for market reasons. BTW, I'm using the 1.0-6111 driver for Linux (on Fedora Core 2) and the current 66.81 BETA drivers for Windows2000. Just thought it would be nice to share the info.

Best regards,
M.

SomniumStudio,
www.somniumstudio.com