Re: Anyone on this list?

Jan Ekholm wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Steve Baker wrote:
>>I make my games for the fun of it.  I don't care too much whether they
>>are widespread successes - and they certainly won't ever make money
>
> And they can be a good portfolio of stuff that can be shown to a potential
> employer. It may not be needed for you Steve, but I wouldn't be ashamed of
> showcasing a game I was proud about.

Yes - that's true - I've gotten several lucrative consulting jobs and
more than a few job offers as a direct result of my OpenSource stuff having
been 'noticed' by companies who'd like to recruit someone whose abilities
can be seen ahead of time.  You can learn a lot about someone by looking
at their code and reading their mailing list archives that would be
impossible to find during an interview.

I suppose that if there is one benefit to being an OpenSource game
writer (beyond the pure enjoyment of writing games), that would be it.

Of course there is a downside to that too!   If you put a pile of
steaming crap in your showcase....
HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net