Relative path in game?

Hello,

I just found that if I try to run the binary of my game from a different directory, it can't find the files it is trying to load.

Now, my code is trying to open files as "../resources/fileName".

So, I figure I must be wrong in my code or my setup, but I am not sure how to handle this problem. How do most games handle this issue?

I tried to change it to use "resources/fileName" and copying the binary up one directory, but just as I suspected, it treats it as relative to my current working directory.

How do I get my game to work with files relative to itself rather than the user? This may seem like a simple problem, but other than creating a shell script that has "cd gameDirectory; runGameApp", I'm not sure what else to do, and the shell script seems kind of hacky.

Thank you in advance for your time,
Gianfranco

--
GBGames' Blog, An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting Thoughts:
http://www.gbgames.com/blog