Re: SDL vs GGI

Steve Baker wrote:

> > I don't know about you, but I sure don't want to play most games with a
> > window border and with normal window controls etc. I want to get
> > completely immersed in a game, I want to feel its atmosphere, I want to
> > *be* in it for the time I play. Seeing the normal windowing stuff in the
> > background destroys that atmosphere.
>
> Well, in my day job, I design flight simulators...using...
> <drum roll>...X!
>
> There is nothing that needs more complete immersion than a flight
> sim - so all I do is create an undecorated borderless window that
> is the same size as the screen.  You can still push the window to
> the back, resize it, iconify it, etc if you want to - but if you
> don't, it stays there and you are immersed.

Yes, that's what I mean. How do you do an undecorated window that is
still resizable and everything? Doesn't override_redirect prevent that?
The only way I know how to do a fullscreen window without any X
extension like DGA is to create a window of size DisplayWidth,
DisplayHeight at position 0, 0 with the override_redirect flag on.

> When I'm debugging, it's tremendously useful to have a small
> GDB window popped up in front of my graphics.  Doing that without
> X would be a nightmare!

Absolutely.

--
Pierre Phaneuf