Re: New package managment

Steve Baker wrote:

> > Well, my friend did an install and didn't select stuff marked as
> > "development" in the menu with general categories (like "Printer
> > Support" and "X Window System"), and he didn't get any of "make", "gcc"
> > or /usr/include/stdio.h.
>
> That's pretty dumb of RedHat - but it's not the point.
>
> How long did your friend go before he realised he needed those
> things and went back and added them?

Very little: this Linux box was specifically for development. He just
didn't select anything so that he could select each packages himself, as
he is short on disk space. Not the best idea (he could have used the
"Select Individual Packages" option), but he's a Linux newbie...

> It can't have been long...almost nothing free comes with
> binaries these days.

I do have a box that was installed 6-8 months ago and still doesn't have
or needs development tools. It's a SPARC box with Red Hat 5.2. All the
stuff on this box is coming from the distribution itself, from the
PowerTools or from the contrib directory at ftp.redhat.com.

--
Pierre Phaneuf
http://ludusdesign.com/