Re: tagging attacks and forward-message/reply-message distinction

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Zooko wrote:
> 3.  It isn't good for forward-travelling and reply messages to be distinguishable
> (although I haven't seen any explanation about how *bad* it might be).

Basically there is nothing fundamentally "bad" about them being
distinguishable.

In case intermediate mixes can tell them apart, it is just the case that
you immediately cut your anonymity set in two sets. If each mix wants to
offer a particular amount of anonymity this might increase the latency
for example (by a factor of 2). Of course it also adds to the complexity
of handling them since there would be 2 different mechanisms to deal with
packets (for intermediate mixes).

It could always be the case that they are indistinguishable for outsiders,
so that at least only corrupt mixes can take advantage of any
possibility to perform traffic analysis attacks.

George