Re: Forward and reply messages

Hello everyone,

I am back in Cambridge and I am slowly working my way through the messages
on the list.

David might have though of a new attack:

> Also, the attack still works against forward-then-reply messages (note that
> you can't swap twice on the forward part of a forward-then-reply path). That's
> the most serious problem IMHO.

Can someone explain how this works? My idea was that since the message
resulting from a tagging attacks on the first leg is completely junk the
only information available is that the sender has sent a message. Since we
do not provide general unobservability properties the attacker already
knows this and I do not think can gain anything else.

In General:

I agree with both Zooko and David that the "swap" techniques are no silver
bullet. Indeed under attack the anonymity set is reduced (by two? not
sure) and therefore, in theory we would need double sized paths.

Note however that this penalty only happens when the network is under
attack using a VERY low bandwidth, VERY high probability of not succeeding,
VERY difficult to coordinate attack. In fact I have to confess that in
real terms the tagging attack is soo difficult to perform, that while I
agree we should offer options to protect against it, it is in no
real threat model a realistic threat. I think that requiring all messages
to be double the size or all the messages to be distinguishable as forward
or reply is a bit of an over reaction, since it imposes a penalty all the
time.

I keep reading,

George