Re: Accented subject characters

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 07:19:11PM -0500, kf-grb@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I use a short bash script to have mixminion-0.0.8alpha2
> send/post a prepared text file. Example:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> # Use quotes for multiword headers: Re: soandso "Re: soandso"
> #--recommended  DONTWORK
> #--X-No-Archive=Yes  DONTWORK
> #--subject="Re: s?m?s?bj?ct"  DONTWORK
> /home/.../mixmin/bin/mixminion send \
> -t mail2news-20070308-alt.test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \
> -P "*3,banana" \
> --input=/home/.../mixmin/sourcefile.txt \
> --subject="Re: somesubject" \
> --references="" \
> --in-reply-to=""
>

> I get barked at if the subject line contains accented
> characters even if the whole string is enclosed in
> double quotes. Is there a workaround for this (backslash
> escape doesn't seem to cut it)?

Probably, your best bet for now is to use RFC2047 encoding.  (RFC2047
specifies ways to encode non-ASCII text into email headers.)

> Also, in the wishlist department, I would far prefer
>
> - having all disclaimers in X-headers with a view to keeping
>   the readability/threadability as clean as possible

I'm torn here; it's superficially a benefit to users and a liability
to exit servers, but I'd prefer to let the exit servers decide, but I
don't want users cherrypicking exit servers.  Hard to say.

> - some form of the --header syntax used in mixmaster that
>   allows assorted X-headers to be used/created

This would need a protocol change, but it's a decent idea.  There
should probably be a list of headers that one isn't allowed to forge.

> - the [Anon] prepended to 'From' appended instead so as
>   to support sender-based sortability.

This seems superficially like a good idea.

If I got a patch for any of these, I'd likely apply it if it were any
good.

> Finally, does anyone have some idea as to the date when
> usenet posting will/might become functional?  I don't think
> I can use SURBS in conjunction with m2n...

"When somebody implements it."  Mixminion development is not getting a
lot of energy right now. :/

peace,
--
Nick Mathewson