Re: Minion paper comments

Hi George,

   Its a very interesting point, and clearly I missed it.  A concern
that I have is that Mixminion is introducing lots of new and
interesting ideas, and that may contradict one of the early design
goals.

   I think its probably worth discussing in the paper the tension
between "just fix the broken bits and document" and "replace type 1."

   A few more comments intra.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:03:27AM -0500, George Danezis wrote:
| Dear Adam & all,
|
| To start with I would like to thank Adam for the comments. Every time I
| leave the paper and the spec I feel they are perfect and every time someone
| looks at it they prove to me again that it needs loads of work.
|
| I am the one that has introduced this notation and I would like to explain
| myself.
|
| > > In section IV.A, you confuse anonymity (without a name) with
| > > pseudonymity.  In "1", If Alice is anonymous, its (A)^x_i, not (A)^X
| > > In 3, Alice and Bob remain pseudonymous for their conversation.
| >
| > Hrm. Our notation seems all screwed up here, doesn't it. Certainly the
| > messages that use reply blocks should be using ^y_i, since there's no
| > such thing as a multi-use reply block. And I agree -- I don't understand
| > the notion of "Alice communicating anonymously with a pseudonym". The
| > Mixminion network provides forward anonymity, meaning I guess (A),
| > and Alice can choose to sign her messages with some key (pseudonym)
| > that persists between messages.
|
| Everything inside the parenthesis in (A)^x, namely the identity of
| Alice, is not know to anyone if the network has not been attacked
| successfully. Now, (A)^x is a transient identity, even if it only used
| once (an in the case of a single forward message). Now the transient
| identity (A)^x might want to have a persistent relationship with someone
| else, and therefore include MANY reply blocks in a forward messages for
| example:
|
| (A)^x -> B: M, (A)^x_1 ... (A)^x_n
|
| Now this is not pseudonymity as we usually understand it since nothing
| links the SURBs except the fact that they are all sent by (A)^x. If this
| was not the case they would indeed be unlinkable.
|
| Of course digital signatures could be used to link them together or even
| link different conversations together in a non-repudiable manner. But in
| this case this is not the objective at all. In introducing this notation I
| wanted to keep in people minds that their transactions can be pseudonymous
| even if they do not explicitelly use pseudonyms (just by the linking
| that the same message provides).
|
| Maybe we should clarify or otherwise change the notation.

I think that clarification is the right thing.  (A)^x is a pseudonym,
and should be referred to as such.  I think my confusion came from
thinking that the set of (A)^x_i were not linkable.

Adam

					               -Hume