Re: [ANN] M.0.0.3rc2: Reply block issue

George:

That is a good attack, and a good solution.

A long time ago I objected that SMTP delivery should not be included in the
MixMinion protocol, but only cleanly layered atop it, and Nick objected that
there *wasn't* anyway to make MixMinion unaware of the SMTP delivery address.
That was a good point, and it silenced my objection.

I thought at the time that an opaque block, encrypted so that only the generator
of the reply block can read it, could be passed along.  Then the SMTP delivery
address could be encoded inside of it, so that the MixMinion spec itself is once
again free of any mention of SMTP information, but SMTP delivery can still be
implemented on top of it.

I didn't post this idea to the list, in part because I have a rule of thumb not
to worry about abstractions which currently only support a single use.  The
current design works just as well as my suggestion would have.

Now, if we implement George's solution to the "try othernym's reply block"
attack, there will be *two* different pieces of information that ought to be
generated by receiver and encrypted so that only receiver can read it -- SMTP
delivery address and 'to: nym'.

I have another rule of thumb that if an abstraction would support *two* uses, it
ought to be considered.

Apologies if either my understanding of the facts or my suggested abstraction
are wrong for MixMinion -- I haven't been paying close attention for a few
months.

Regards,

Zooko