Re: Minion paper comments

Dear Adam & all,

To start with I would like to thank Adam for the comments. Every time I
leave the paper and the spec I feel they are perfect and every time someone
looks at it they prove to me again that it needs loads of work.

I am the one that has introduced this notation and I would like to explain
myself.

> > In section IV.A, you confuse anonymity (without a name) with
> > pseudonymity.  In "1", If Alice is anonymous, its (A)^x_i, not (A)^X
> > In 3, Alice and Bob remain pseudonymous for their conversation.
>
> Hrm. Our notation seems all screwed up here, doesn't it. Certainly the
> messages that use reply blocks should be using ^y_i, since there's no
> such thing as a multi-use reply block. And I agree -- I don't understand
> the notion of "Alice communicating anonymously with a pseudonym". The
> Mixminion network provides forward anonymity, meaning I guess (A),
> and Alice can choose to sign her messages with some key (pseudonym)
> that persists between messages.

Everything inside the parenthesis in (A)^x, namely the identity of
Alice, is not know to anyone if the network has not been attacked
successfully. Now, (A)^x is a transient identity, even if it only used
once (an in the case of a single forward message). Now the transient
identity (A)^x might want to have a persistent relationship with someone
else, and therefore include MANY reply blocks in a forward messages for
example:

(A)^x -> B: M, (A)^x_1 ... (A)^x_n

Now this is not pseudonymity as we usually understand it since nothing
links the SURBs except the fact that they are all sent by (A)^x. If this
was not the case they would indeed be unlinkable.

Of course digital signatures could be used to link them together or even
link different conversations together in a non-repudiable manner. But in
this case this is not the objective at all. In introducing this notation I
wanted to keep in people minds that their transactions can be pseudonymous
even if they do not explicitelly use pseudonyms (just by the linking
that the same message provides).

Maybe we should clarify or otherwise change the notation.

Yours,

George