Re: News & questions

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 08:00:00PM +0100, marcoc1@dada.it wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> I wrote to you, but let me know if it's better to the mixminion list

[I'm ccing this to mixminion-dev, because other people may have
similar questions.]

> we updated to rc1 both remailer of the Winston Smith Project
>  (futureworld & mercurio) and put online a new one, Antani.
>
> It is wortwhile to announce new remailers on the mixmnion list ?

Not right now, I think.  The directory system is supposed to make
these announcements unnecessary.

In the future, once the directory policies get more strict, it would
be a good idea to announce new remailers, so the people know who is
running which remailer.

> And now more questions ... if your patience lasts .... ;)
>
> 1) why the descriptor of remailers sometimes are duplicated
>  and sometimes are updated ?

The same descriptor never appears twice in the directory.  However,
because every descriptor has a limited lifetime, one remailer may have
multiple *different* descriptors in the directory, with different
keys, valid over different dates.

Descriptors are updated when your configuration changes; if the
Mixminion server notices that it has published a descriptor that
doesn't match its current configuration, it generates an uploads a
fresh one.

> 2) how about the timing of new & updated remailer
>  inclusion in the directory ?

Updated remailers are included in the directory within 24 hours
(updates at 00:00 UTC).  New remailers are included within 24 hours
after I notice them, which sometimes takes a while.  (Sending me an
email can speed this up.)

> 3) how often the stats are updated? the software is not
>  echolot, isn't it ? Maybe pingstat ?

Right now, the liveness system is very primitive: it checks for server
liveness twice a day, and marks every server up or down: it has no
additional memory.  The next version of mixminion should include a
real pinger.

> Thanks a lot.  Ciao.   Marco
>
> P.S. I was unable to encrypt because your key
>  (MIT server) results expired; maybe is my mistake,
>  but, just in case .....

See my recent message to mixminion-dev.

Yours,
--