[tor-announce] Tor Browser 6.0.4 is released

Hi all!

Tor Browser 6.0.4 is now available from the Tor Browser Project page[1]
and also from our distribution directory[2].

This release finally brings Tor Browser users the latest Tor stable,
0.2.8.6, and avoids pinging Mozilla's servers for system extensions.

Pinging Mozilla's servers was responsible for users getting an extension
into their Tor Browser that resulted in annoying and confusing "Your
Firefox is out of date" notifications on start-up (bug 19890)[3]. Thanks
to Mozilla engineers, who fixed that issue as quickly as possible on
their side, the extension is not shipped to Tor Browser users anymore
since August 11 13:00 UTC. This takes care of getting the add-on removed
as well in case it got installed into Tor Browser (as does the fix we
ship in Tor Browser 6.0.4) which should have happened/is happening
during the next extension update ping. For further information see the
discussion in our bug tracker[4].

Users that are on the alpha channel or are using the hardened Tor
Browser were not affected. The same goes for Tails users as far as we know.

The full changelog since Tor Browser 6.0.3 is:

Tor Browser 6.0.4 -- August 16
 * All Platforms
   * Update Tor to 0.2.8.6
   * Update NoScript to 2.9.0.14
   * Bug 19890: Disable installation of system addons

Georg

[1] https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html
[2] https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser/6.0.4/
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/19890