[tor-announce] Tor 0.2.2.33 is released

Tor 0.2.2.33 fixes several bugs, and includes a slight tweak to Tor's
TLS handshake that makes relays and bridges that run this new version
reachable from Iran again.

https://www.torproject.org/download/download

Relays and bridges should upgrade:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/iran-blocks-tor-tor-releases-same-day-fix

Since there are no critical client-side fixes, we haven't built new Tor
Browser Bundle packages for this version yet. The latest Tor Browser
Bundle version remains 2.2.32-4:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/new-tor-browser-bundles-6

Changes in version 0.2.2.33 - 2011-09-13
  o Major bugfixes:
    - Avoid an assertion failure when reloading a configuration with
      TrackExitHosts changes. Found and fixed by 'laruldan'. Fixes bug
      3923; bugfix on 0.2.2.25-alpha.

  o Minor features (security):
    - Check for replays of the public-key encrypted portion of an
      INTRODUCE1 cell, in addition to the current check for replays of
      the g^x value. This prevents a possible class of active attacks
      by an attacker who controls both an introduction point and a
      rendezvous point, and who uses the malleability of AES-CTR to
      alter the encrypted g^x portion of the INTRODUCE1 cell. We think
      that these attacks are infeasible (requiring the attacker to send
      on the order of zettabytes of altered cells in a short interval),
      but we'd rather block them off in case there are any classes of
      this attack that we missed. Reported by Willem Pinckaers.

  o Minor features:
    - Adjust the expiration time on our SSL session certificates to
      better match SSL certs seen in the wild. Resolves ticket 4014.
    - Change the default required uptime for a relay to be accepted as
      a HSDir (hidden service directory) from 24 hours to 25 hours.
      Improves on 0.2.0.10-alpha; resolves ticket 2649.
    - Add a VoteOnHidServDirectoriesV2 config option to allow directory
      authorities to abstain from voting on assignment of the HSDir
      consensus flag. Related to bug 2649.
    - Update to the September 6 2011 Maxmind GeoLite Country database.

  o Minor bugfixes (documentation and log messages):
    - Correct the man page to explain that HashedControlPassword and
      CookieAuthentication can both be set, in which case either method
      is sufficient to authenticate to Tor. Bugfix on 0.2.0.7-alpha,
      when we decided to allow these config options to both be set. Issue
      raised by bug 3898.
    - Demote the 'replay detected' log message emitted when a hidden
      service receives the same Diffie-Hellman public key in two different
      INTRODUCE2 cells to info level. A normal Tor client can cause that
      log message during its normal operation. Bugfix on 0.2.1.6-alpha;
      fixes part of bug 2442.
    - Demote the 'INTRODUCE2 cell is too {old,new}' log message to info
      level. There is nothing that a hidden service's operator can do
      to fix its clients' clocks. Bugfix on 0.2.1.6-alpha; fixes part
      of bug 2442.
    - Clarify a log message specifying the characters permitted in
      HiddenServiceAuthorizeClient client names. Previously, the log
      message said that "[A-Za-z0-9+-_]" were permitted; that could have
      given the impression that every ASCII character between "+" and "_"
      was permitted. Now we say "[A-Za-z0-9+_-]". Bugfix on 0.2.1.5-alpha.

  o Build fixes:
    - Provide a substitute implementation of lround() for MSVC, which
      apparently lacks it. Patch from Gisle Vanem.
    - Clean up some code issues that prevented Tor from building on older
      BSDs. Fixes bug 3894; reported by "grarpamp".
    - Search for a platform-specific version of "ar" when cross-compiling.
      Should fix builds on iOS. Resolves bug 3909, found by Marco Bonetti.