Re: [tor-dev] Interested in getting involved with pyDoctor

(Adding tor-dev back to the cc.)

On 4/16/13 9:31 PM, MiÅosz Gaczkowski wrote:
> On 16/04/2013 07:28, Karsten Loesing wrote:
>> Sounds great! Welcome to Tor!
> Thanks for the warm welcome :)
>
>> In theory, you can start working on this project right now. The first
>> step is probably to understand what the current DocTor code (Java)
>> does and what capabilities the stem library (Python) may still be
>> missing to rewrite DocTor in Python. See the links in the project
>> idea, and ask for more pointers if you're missing something.
> All right, I've started my research on DocTor earlier today. I'll start
> looking at Stem when I have a decent understanding of the design choices
> and approaches in DocTor.

Sounds good.

>> For the GSoC project, you should come up with a project plan
>> explaining what parts need to be implemented, and you should suggest a
>> schedule that fits the GSoC timeline. See the GSoC FAQ for details.
>> Bonus points if you already have some code for PyDocTor in your GSoC
>> application. Or you could write a patch for #8164 [0], which still
>> means writing Java code not Python, but which would show you're
>> familiar with the code base you're planning to rewrite. Another
>> alternative would be to write a stem patch that adds part of the
>> missing features to write PyDocTor. Lots of options there.
> I think the best approach (in the long term, at least) would be to start
> with extending Stem, then building pyDoctor on that, and only focusing
> on extra functionality once we have the new product. Probably better
> than doing #8164 now and then re-inventing it a few months later in
> Python anyway. What do you think?

I agree that doing #8164 now and rewriting it a few months later means
duplicating some effort.  But it's not that complicated, and we'll want
to have that feature in the next few months anyway.  But don't worry too
much about it, I can write the #8164 patch myself.  If you want to focus
on the rewrite instead, please do so!

>> Does that answer the who/what/where/when? If not, just ask!
> It does, thanks a lot. I'll carry on reading through the code and
> working out how things work for a while, but I should be able to start
> work on my project plan and code in a week or so.
>
> If you have any ideas and suggestions, those are always welcome. If not,
> I'll be in touch soon!

Great!  Looking forward to commenting on your project plan or code! :)

Best,
Karsten