Re: [tor-dev] [GSoC 2013] Status report - Searchable metrics archive

On 8/10/13 9:28 PM, Kostas Jakeliunas wrote:
>   * I don't think we can avoid using certain postgresql extensions (if only
> one) - which means that deploying will always take more than apt-get && pip
> install, but I believe it is needed;

Can you give an example of a query that won't be executed efficiently
without this extension and just fine with it?  Maybe we can tweak that
query somehow so it works fine on a vanilla PostgreSQL.  Happy to give
that some thoughts.

I'd really want to avoid using stuff that is not in Debian.  Or rather,
if we really need to add non-standard extensions, we need more than
thinking and believing that it's unavoidable. :)

> Overall, I'm spending a bit too much time on a specific problem, but at
> least I have a more intimate lower-level knowledge of PostgreSQL, which
> turns out to be very relevant to this project. I hope to be able to soon
> move to extending Onionoo support and providing a clean API for getting
> lists of consensuses in which a particular relay was present. And maybe
> start with the frontend. :)

Sounds like a plan, except for the frontend part.  Scratch that, I'd
say, and focus on the API.  Making it shiny can come once everything
works as expected.

Best,
Karsten