Re: [tor-dev] Draft Proposal: Random Number Generation During Tor Voting

> On 12 Aug 2015, at 04:35 , George Kadianakis <desnacked@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> teor <teor2345@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Another implementation note on directory caching of the SR doc:
>>
>> I just noticed the following code in update_consensus_networkstatus_downloads():
>>
>> for (i=0; i < N_CONSENSUS_FLAVORS; ++i) {
>>    /* XXXX need some way to download unknown flavors if we are caching. */
>>
>> This means that any new consensus flavour will only be cached by new versions of Tor, and they will automatically cache it.
>>
>> I don't think this is an issue for the SR doc - did we really want / need it cached at directory mirrors? (If not, we could modify this code to skip the SR doc.)
>>

> Hm, the way we've been thinking about this, the SR doc is only useful to dirauths.
>
> I don't think that directory mirrors or clients will ever need to download
> it. So I think we will indeed need to mod that code to skip the SR doc if we are
> not dirauths.
>
> Of course, SR docs should be puclicly available so that CollecTor and
> ConsensusHealth can fetch them and analyze them.

In which case, I think we can place them in the same category as the extra-info documents, and mirror them only where we would normally mirror everything.

That way, CollecTor, ConsensusHealth, and even Onionoo and similar, need not place too much load directly on the dir auths, and can download from anywhere that hosts the extra-info docs.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
pgp ABFED1AC
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5

teor at blah dot im
OTR D5BE4EC2 255D7585 F3874930 DB130265 7C9EBBC7