Re: [tor-dev] CAPTCHA Monitoring Project's Dashboard

Barkin Simsek:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I created a wiki page [1] for "describing" the graphs that will be
> used to visualize the CAPTCHA Monitor dataset [2]. There are already a
> few graphs on the dashboard [3] and they will be replaced with the new
> ones described on the wiki page.

Thanks for that wiki page. That's been really helpful. One thing I kept
wondering while reading through the different graph descriptions with
the default graph style in mind: You said:

tick representing a single consensus"

While the graphs you describe read:

3. Merge the graphs created for each consensus

So, what's the tick shown per day then? One consensus somehow picked or
data for all consensuses for that day? Or...?

> I'm interested in hearing your feedback on the graph descriptions [1]
> and suggestions for adding new graphs. I want to understand if the
> graphs I proposed make sense and useful for anyone. The descriptions
> have a similar style to the one used in the metrics website's
> "Reproducible Metrics" page [4].

How do you plan to show those graphs on the dashboard? Are they all
shown in some order? Grouped by sections (maybe along those on the
wiki)? Grouped by "importance"? I suspect there is a tension between
just showing them all and the most usefulness of the dashboard and it
might be worth spending some though on that (if you did not have
already). Or maybe there are even guidelines in the literature somewhere
I am not aware of.

Somewhat related to that, I think we can try reducing the number of
graphs, at least those which are greatly related. E.g. I was at first
confused seeing "Weighted CAPTCHA rate by exit relay age" and "Weighted
CAPTCHA rate by exit relay location" twice until I realized the
different sections they showed up. One thing that could be useful here
is having a switch/buttons next to the graph giving the user the option
to see "by exit relay age" for all CAPTCHAs, or for Cloudflare ones, or
for Akamai ones or for... depending on the switch/button the users
clicked on. The graph would update accordingly once clicked, showing the
user choice. The default could be for all CAPTCHAs or essentially
whatever we think is more important for us. That way you have related
things grouped together AND you have less graphs shown per default on
the dashboard, too, which might help not getting confused.

Georg