Re: [tor-dev] Draft Proposal for BridgeDB IPv6 Support

Aaron <aagbsn@xxxxxxxx> wrote
Mon, 5 Dec 2011 16:38:49 -0800:

|       IPv6 Addresses are stored as strings, the same way as IPv4 addresses.
|       #XXX: is this better than using the ipaddr.IPAddress class?

What kind of database is this?  If it is possible to use the rest of the
database for a program written in a language without (the exact same
implementation of) this particular version of Python ipaddr a string
representation might have a value.  If not, for easier debugging?
Unclear to me.

|           Parameters may be repeated to select multiple classes, e.g.
|
|             q=ipv4&q=ipv6  - Request both IPv4 and IPv6 bridges.
|
|           When no parameters are set, by default BridgeDB must return addresses
|           of the same class as the client. This default may promote IPv6 use
|           where possible.

This might cause confusion in cases where the equipment used for getting
a bridge address is not the same as the equipment which is going to use
it.  Very few computer users know if they're using IPv4 or IPv6.

Is it worth it?

|         How does someone end up at bridgesv6.torproject.org?
|
|           BridgeDB should include a message at the end of its' response.
|           e.g.
|
|             "Get IPv4 bridges https://bridges.torproject.org";
|             "Get IPv6 bridges from https://bridgesv6.torproject.org";
|             "You must have IPv6 for these bridges to work."
|           #XXX: will users understand what this means?

I'd like to stress the case where a user fetches a bridge address on a
computer which is not the consumer(s) of the address and suggest "These
bridges will work only on computers with functional IPv6." or similar.