Re: [tor-dev] Proposal 287: Reduce circuit lifetime without overloading the network.

Hi teor,

Seems like an important proposal, if there is a good argument that a
particular amount of data is "safe". I think your research may help
with this.

Yes, I will try to prove it on the research so I would like to keep the proposal open until the research is finished.

If everybody chooses different amounts of data, that makes them easier to
identify.

This reason is why it is not recommended to change the default value, same as for the MaxCircuitDirtiness parameter, so I will specify it on the proposal.

Onion services also have similar behaviour, but we should check the
details.

The proposal doesn't specify how KeepAliveIsolateSOCKSAuth and onion
services work with MaxCircuitSizeDirtiness and
MaxCircuitSizeDirtinessByPort. We need to specify what happens, so the
Tor Browser team knows if it needs to change its torrc. And it would
help us decide what to set as the default for onion services.

Let me think about it. I will update the proposal soon and I will specify how KeepAliveIsolateSOCKSAuth and onion services work with this new feature.

ffmancera.