Re: [tor-dev] Proposal idea: Require majority of authorities to vote for consensus parameters

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM, Sebastian Hahn <hahn.seb@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Filename: xxx-param-voting.txt
> Title: Require majority of authorities to vote for consensus parameters
> Author: Sebastian Hahn
> Created: 16-Feb-2011

Added as proposal 178.

(As a sidenote, the specifications and proposals are  no longer part
of the tor source repository; they've got their own repository now.
You can browse them at
   https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree

To check out the specification repository, run
    git clone git://git.torproject.org/torspec.git

For other information on the repository, see
    https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git  )

This is probably a bit bikeshed, but the ability to add new parameters
in a hurry has been pretty useful in the past.  Instead of requiring a
majority of authorities, I'd suggest that we require 3, or a majority,
whichever is smaller.  (I suggest "3" because it's the smallest number
of voters on a parameter for which the median is not unilaterally
determined by a single authority.)

--
Nick