Title: Controller events to better understand connection/circuit usage
Author: Rob Jansen, Karsten Loesing
Created: 2013-02-06
Target: 0.2.5.x

1. Overview

  This proposal defines three new controller events that shall help
  understand connection and circuit usage.  These events are designed
  to be emitted in private Tor networks only.  This proposal also
  defines a tweak to an existing event for the same purpose.

2. Motivation

  We need to better understand connection and circuit usage in order to
  better simulate Tor networks.  Existing controller events are a fine
  start, but we need more detailed information about per-connection
  bandwidth, processed cells by circuit, and token bucket refills.  This
  proposal defines controller events containing the desired information.

  Most of these usage data are too sensitive to be captured in the
  public network, unless aggregated sufficiently.  That is why we're
  focusing on private Tor networks first, that is, relays that have
  TestingTorNetwork set.  The new controller events described in this
  proposal shall all be restricted to private Tor networks.  In the next
  step we might define aggregate statistics to be gathered by public
  relays, but that will require a new proposal.

3. Design

  The proposed new event types use Tor's asynchronous event mechanism
  where a controller registers for events by type and processes events
  received from the Tor process.

  Tor controllers can register for any of the new event types, but
  events will only be emitted if the Tor process is running in
  TestingTorNetwork mode.

4. Security implications

  There should be no security implications from the new event types,
  because they are only emitted in private Tor networks.

5. Specification

5.1. Adding an ID field to ORCONN events

  The new syntax for ORCONN events is:

    "650" SP "ORCONN" SP (LongName / Target) SP ORStatus
             [ SP "ID=" ConnId ] [ SP "REASON=" Reason ]
             [ SP "NCIRCS=" NumCircuits ] CRLF

    ConnID is the connection ID which is locally unique among all
    connection types and which is only included in TestingTorNetwork
    mode.

  The remaining specification of that event type stays unchanged.

5.2. Bandwidth used on an OR or DIR or EXIT connection

  The syntax is:
     "650" SP "CONN_BW" SP ConnID SP ConnType SP BytesRead SP
              BytesWritten CRLF
     BytesRead = 1*DIGIT
     BytesWritten = 1*DIGIT

  ConnID is the connection ID which is locally unique among all
  connection types.

  ConnType is the connection type, which can be "OR" or "DIR" or "EXIT".

  BytesWritten and BytesRead are the number of bytes written and read
  by Tor since the last CONN_BW event on this connection.

  These events are generated about once per second per connection; no
  events are generated for connections that have not read or written.
  These events are only generated if TestingTorNetwork is set.

5.3. Per-circuit cell stats

  The syntax is:
     "650" SP "CELL_STATS" SP
              PCircID SP PConnID SP PAdded SP PRemoved SP PTime SP
              NCircID SP NConnID SP NAdded SP NRemoved SP NTime CRLF

  PCircID and NCircID are the locally unique IDs of the app-ward
  (PCircID) and exit-ward (NCircID) circuit.

  PConnID and NConnID are the locally unique IDs of the app-ward
  (PConnID) and exit-ward (NConnID) OR connection.

  PAdded and NAdded are the total number of cells added to the app-ward
  (PAdded) and exit-ward (NAdded) queues of this circuit.

  PRemoved and NRemoved are the total number of cells processed from the
  app-ward (PRemoved) and exit-ward (NRemoved) queues of this circuit.

  PTime and NTime are the total waiting times in milliseconds of all
  processed cells in the app-ward (PTime) and exit-ward (NTime) queues
  of this circuit.

  PAdded, NAdded, PRemoved, NRemoved, PTime, and NTime are
  semicolon-separated key-value lists with keys being lower-case cell
  types and values being cell numbers or waiting times.

  These events are generated about once per second per circuit; no
  events are generated for circuits that have not added or processed any
  cell.  These events are only generated if TestingTorNetwork is set.

5.4. Token buckets refilled

  The syntax is:
     "650" SP "TB_EMPTY" SP ["GLOBAL" || "RELAY" || "ORCONN" SP ConnID]
              SP ReadBucketEmpty SP WriteBucketEmpty SP LastRefill CRLF

  This event is generated when refilling a previously empty token
  bucket.  The "GLOBAL" and "RELAY" keywords are used for the global or
  relay token buckets, the "ORCONN" keyword together with a ConnID is
  used for the token buckets of an OR connection.

  If both global and relay buckets and/or the buckets of one or more OR
  connections run out of tokens at the same time, multiple separate
  events are generated.

  ReadBucketEmpty (WriteBucketEmpty) is the time in millis that the read
  (write) bucket was empty.  LastRefill is the time in millis since the
  last refill.  ReadBucketEmpty or WriteBucketEmpty are capped at
  LastRefill in order not to report empty times more than once.

  These events are only generated if TestingTorNetwork is set.

6. Compatibility

  There should not be any compatibility issues with other Tor versions.

7. Implementation

  Most of the implementation should be straight-forward.

  There's one exception: we pondered adding a unique circuit ID to
  CELL_STATS events, but so far, only origin circuits have a unique ID.
  We could move that field from origin_circuit_t to circuit_t and
  update all references in the code.  But this may have undesired side
  effects which we're not yet aware of.  We don't have a good answer
  yet if we need this ID or not.

8. Performance and scalability notes

  Most of the new code won't be executed in normal Tor mode.  Wherever
  we needed new fields in existing structs, we tried hard to keep them
  as small as possible.  Still, we should make sure that memory
  requirements won't grow significantly on busy relays.