Re: [tor-dev] Using MaxMind's GeoIP2 databases in tor, BridgeDB, metrics-*, Onionoo, etc.

On 30/01/14 19:31, Nick Mathewson wrote:
On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Nick Mathewson <nickm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 5:15 AM, Karsten Loesing <karsten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  [...]
Another option is to write a new tool that parses their full databases
and converts them into file formats we already support
  [...]

Writing our own parser seems goofy.

Then again, I'm a goofy guy, and though the format's kinda ugly, I've
seen much worse.

https://github.com/nmathewson/mmdb-convert

If we use this thing, we should move it over into src/config in Tor.

It needs more hacking and testing, but at least it's pure python.

This is great!

I started trying it out and reviewing it. I'm planning to improve it this week until it writes geoip and geoip6 files that we can then place into src/config/. (And I'm thinking about using the same file in Onionoo and dropping city information there, for simplicity.)

Thanks for starting this!

All the best,
Karsten