[tor-dev] Help with TOR on UDP/QUIC

Hi everyone:Â

I'm new to Tor dev community and my name is Xiaofan Li, currently a senior at Carnegie Mellon University studying ECE and CS. My friend Kevin Ku and I are taking a graduate class on computer networks and we decided to examine the possibilities of substituting TCP with the Google QUIC protocol for Tor in order to improve performance.Â

We are emailing you because:Â
  1. We want to get some points of contact with the Tor community in case of future integration and/or testing.Â
  2. We want to know if anyone else has done (or is doing) Tor with QUIC. If so, what their status is; and if not, why not?Â
  3. We want to get your opinions on this idea. Attached is our (very) preliminary plan and goals for the project. Any feedback is welcomed.Â
  4. Any implementation recommendations. My plan is to find a clean layer of abstraction where I can substitute TCP with QUIC. Any ideas? On a first look, I'm thinking about either or/channel.c or or/transports.cÂ
  5. Any testing suggestions? How do Tor engineers test new stuff?
Please take a look at our outline attached below.
Thank you! Looking forward to hearing from you soon!
Li.