Re: [tor-dev] Support for mix integration research

> On 23 Feb 2016, at 01:11, Katharina Kohls <katharina.kohls@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> we are a team of 4 PHD students in the field of IT security, working at
> the Ruhr-University Bochum at the chair for systems security and the
> information security group.
>
> Currently we work on a research project with the goal to leverage the
> security of Tor against timing attacks by integrating mixes in Tor
> nodes. The general idea is to differentiate high-latency and low-latency
> traffic among the network for applying additional delays to the former
> type of packets. Based on this the success of traffic analysis attacks
> should be decreased without restricting the low latency assurance of Tor.

Does differentiating traffic into multiple timing classes make traffic timing analysis easier?
(For example, while high-latency traffic is better protected from fingerprinting, low-latency traffic is easier to identify and fingerprint.)

> We plan to integrate the mix into Tor version 0.2.5.10 and analyze its
> performance along with the Shadow simulator.

The latest stable release is Tor 0.2.7.6.

> As there are a lot of details to consider, both regarding the technical
> aspects of the integration as well as practical assumptions, e.g., "how
> do we get DiffServ-like nodes?", we would be pleased to receive some
> feedback on the idea and support for the implementation of the mix.
> Further details on the mix and stuff will sure be provided if needed!

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F