[tor-dev] BandwidthRate minimal values (was: Re: [tor-relays] Report on the FOSDEM relays meetup)

(from tor-relays)
>> Content-wise, there were some pretty fruitful discussion, but we spent quite a bit
>> of time on questions that recurr at other meetups too:
>>
>> - What's the most useful thing I can bring to the network?
>>   (TL;DR: Ideally, fast relays (if possible exits); if you can't contribute
>>   more than 1MB/s, make it a bridge)
>
> I like 1MByte/s (8MBit/s) as the "limit" between relay vs. bridge, currently we mention
> 16MBit/s and 2MBit/s in the documentation:
>
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#HowDoIDecide
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorRelayGuide#RelayRequirements
>
> I'll go ahead and make 8 MBit/s the lower limit (and keep "It is recommended that a relay have at least 16 MBit/s (Mbps)")
> unless there are strong opinions against it.

Hi,

to have all places consistent, are you open to increase the minimal values in
the tor man page for relays to 8 MBit/s (and bridges to 1 MBit/s) or
other greater than the current values?

currently it says:

BandwidthRate N
[...] If you want to run a
           relay in the public network, this needs to be at the very least 75
           KBytes for a relay (that is, 600 kbits) or 50 KBytes for a bridge
           (400 kbits)  but of course, more is better; we recommend at least
           250 KBytes (2 mbits) if possible.

If you are open to it I'll submit a patch via trac.

--
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu
twitter: @nusenu_