Re: [tor-dev] Proposal 300: Walking Onions: Scaling and Saving Bandwidth

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 10:45 PM Nicholas Hopper <hopper@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 [...]
> This is very cool.  One thing that comes to mind reading the proposal
> is that you will either want some fancy sorting scheme to try to make ranges
> (nearly) consistent across ENDIVEs, OR will want to have the Relay commit
> to an ENDIVE version before the client sends an index (otherwise an
> adversarial relay group can increase their effective weight by a factor of # of
> acceptable ENDIVE versions).

That's right.  I had been think that we wouldn't go too wrong if we
sorted by identity, since bandwidth doesn't change too much from hour
to hour.  Another possibility to investigate is putting out ENDIVES
less frequently than we currently put out consensus directories.

But I like your commitment idea better, if we can make it work: as
part of its CREATED, a relay could promise that it would use a certain
ENDIVE for any extend attempts in the next N minutes.  We'd need to
make sure that this was authenticated by the create/created handshake,
but I think that should be doable.

cheers,
--
Nick