Re: [tor-dev] Running doctor's sybil checker over archived consensuses

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 04:25:10PM +0100, Philipp Winter wrote:
> 2014-01-30: A clearly related group of relays comes online, presumably
>             the one from the pulled Blackhat talk. (A)
> 2014-11-17: Several probably related relays in the Google cloud get
>             online. (B)
> 2014-12-26: Many relays named LizardNSA and FuslVZTOR come online. (C)
> 2014-12-30: Many relays named anonpoke come online. (D)

The visualizer program only works on archived microdescriptors, which
only go back through 2014. But I ran it on all of 2014 and you can see
the four incidents above.

The stripes in the background are months.

https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/graphs/microdescs/microdescs-2014.png (8760Ã62986 pixels)
https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/graphs/microdescs/microdescs-2014-short.png (8760Ã2048 pixels)

(Wow, who knew there were over 60000 distinct descriptors in 2014?)

Maybe the checker should also check for when a lot of relays go away at
once. It looks that happened in mid-April, where relays that had been
started at different times in the beginning of the year all stopped at
once.

(Oh, on further reflection, that must have been Heartbleed!)

David Fifield

JPEG image