Re: [tor-dev] Go version in Gitian descriptors

On 4 Jan 2016, at 16:14, David Fifield <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 03, 2016 at 11:01:25PM -0600, Jeremy Rand wrote:
I noticed that it looks like Tor Project is using Go 1.4.2 to build
the pluggable transports in Gitian.  I'm curious why a newer version
of Go isn't used.  My understanding is that Go 1.4.2 (or earlier) is
needed to build Go 1.5 because 1.5's source code is itself in Go.
Would using Go 1.5 be as simple as building 1.4.2 in Gitian (as is
done now), and then using 1.4.2 to build 1.5, and then placing 1.5 in
PATH instead of 1.4.2 as is done now?  Have obstacles been identified
in such a configuration, or is it just that no one tried it?

It's just that nobody has tried it. Here's the ticket for the most
recent update (to 1.4.2) if you want to make a new patch and file a new
ticket:
https://bugs.torproject.org/15448

Note the go bootstrap process has changed now that go is entirely written in go:

The new build process for Go 1.x (x â 5) will be:

â Build cmd/dist with Go 1.4.
â Using dist, build Go 1.x compiler toolchain with Go 1.4.
â Using dist, rebuild Go 1.x compiler toolchain with itself.
â Using dist, build Go 1.x cmd/go (as go_bootstrap) with Go 1.x compiler toolchain.
â Using go_bootstrap, build the remaining Go 1.x standard library and commands.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OaatvGhEAq7VseQ9kkavxKNAfepWy2yhPUBs96FGV28/edit?pref=2&pli=1

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F