[tor-dev] New Authority File (was: Re: New Fallback Directory File Format)

Hi,

We've merged a new list of fallbacks in the version 2.0.0 format.

But we also want to keep a separate list of authorities, rather than hiding
them in the middle of config.c:

So we are changing the current authority and fallback list formats,
to make them consistent with each other. (Sorry about doing the two changes
separately, we had to do fallbacks for the 0.3.2.9 release deadline.)

Here's what will change in version 3.0.0:

https://github.com/teor2345/torspec/commits/dir-list

Hopefully, you can use the same parser for both file formats.

> On 7 Jan 2018, at 02:52, Iain Learmonth <irl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On 05/01/18 22:33, teor wrote:
>> The fallback 2.0.0 spec hasn't been merged yet, but atagar has reviewed it.
>> It's at:
>> https://github.com/teor2345/torspec/blob/fallback-format-2-v2/fallback-spec.txt
>
> I've added this link to the Metrics ticket #24434, I started work on
> this but ran out of time after not getting very far at all.

The fallback list spec version 2.0.0 has been merged, it's now at:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-list-spec.txt

>> The fallback list is now in the 2.0.0 format, but it has exactly the
>> same fallbacks in it:
>> https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/or/fallback_dirs.inc
>>
>> Some time over the next few days, we will generate a new list of
>> fallbacks in
>> the 2.0.0 format, and backport it to Tor 0.2.9 and later.
>
> Ok, I'll see if I can do a quick hack workaround to generate the list
> for Relay Search until the data is available through Tor Metrics.

I'm glad this worked out!
Thanks for doing this update.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com