Re: [tor-dev] Agnostic Tools: Code Dev and Support For

(I began writing this earlier, but returned (-1) with ENOTIME.)

On 2018-01-11 at 22:44:56 +0000, teor <teor2345@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This thread is off-topic,

I know. But for understandable reasons, as stated below; and with all due apologies for a “-dev” list:

On 2018-01-11 20:00:45 at +0000, nullius <nullius@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
#endif /* !_ON_TOPIC_FOR_DEV_LIST_ */

teor:
and unwelcoming to new contributors.

0. I disagree in principle with the “welcoming environment” notion; but that’s hereto irrelevant, for nothing an ordinary reasonable person would deem “unwelcoming” was said on this thread.

1. It’s an awful trick, soliciting contributions for a project which is ideological in nature—and then expecting people to avoid speaking out for their motivating ideological passions, when those are entwined with the context of a technical discussion. Some might even consider that unwelcoming to potential (quasi-)new contributors, such as myself.

2. I didn’t state any sort of personalized invective; and I certainly didn’t read grarpamp’s post that way, either. For my part, to the contrary, I stated constructive criticisms and counterarguments as to an abstract opinion. That was more than warranted, given Tor’s stated mission—and whereas “Beastr0” had expressed reasonable open-mindedness, as I fairly quoted (“(though I am willing to be convinced otherwise)”). I also thought that “Beastr0” replied to me quite reasonably:

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2018-January/012802.html