Re: [tor-dev] No Control Socket when DisableNetwork 1

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 04:40:53 -0500
Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> My second suggestion would be to get a Tor binary and run it yourself,
> not as part of a package. If it works there, then you know that your
> next steps are to figure out why your package isn't working for you.

With a torrc that looks like this:

  DataDirectory /tmp/tor
  ControlPort unix:/tmp/tor/control.sock
  SocksPort unix:/tmp/tor/socks.sock
  DisableNetwork 1

Running 0.3.1.9 I got from my distribution's package manager:

  Jan 2013:31:28.986 [notice] Opening Control listener on /tmp/tor/control.sock

And a trivial test that exercises the control port works:

  amiens :: ~ % nc -U /tmp/tor/control.sock
  PROTOCOLINFO
  250-PROTOCOLINFO 1
  250-AUTH METHODS=NULL
  250-VERSION Tor="0.3.1.9"
  250 OK

So digging into this further probably requires the "next steps".  I
still recommend a bit of a wait for tor to open the AF_UNIX socket.
While it usually is nearly instantaneous on modern systems, I had
intermittent problems with "the socket isn't there" related to trying
too fast.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel